Soup Doesn’t Have to Take all Day
You can make a great soup in under an hour. All you need is some meat or beans, veggies, some type of starch (e.g., noodles, potato, rice) spices and a little wine and/or sherry for extra flavor. Here’s a chicken noodle soup that I make whenever someone in the house has a cold. We all know that chicken soup is the best medicine for the common cold!
- Loaded with fiber (lots of veggies, and whole grain noodles)
- High in vitamins and potassium (lots of veggies)
- Low in sodium (if you keep the added salt low)
- Can easily be made into a gluten free soup (use gluten free noodles, potatoe, sweet potatoe rice, corn or other gluten free starch)
Quick Chicken Noodle Soup
- Olive oil 1-2 TBSP
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken (can also use leftover cooked chicken)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced or crushed or 1-2 tsp bottled minced or crushed garlic
- 2-3 cups chopped raw veggies (for the pictured recipe, I used carrots, red bell pepper and mushrooms, because that was what I had. I vary the veggies every time I make this)
- 4-6 cups no salt added chicken broth (I used Pacific Brand “Chicken Bone Broth”; it is very low in sodium)
- Spices: Rosemary, Thyme, Sage, Paprika (1/2 to 1 tsp each); Dry mustard (1/8-1/4 tsp); salt and pepper to taste.
- 4 ounces noodles (I used 1/4 package of whole wheat spaghetti noodles, could use 1 1/2 cups egg noodles, or any type of macaroni)
- Fresh Basil, chopped (2-4 tbsp)
- White wine 1/2 cup
- Dry Sherry 1/8 cup
Heat heavy pot. Add oil, onion and garlic. Saute on medium until soft and a little browned. Chop chicken into bitesize pieces, add to pan, and saute until browned. Add other veggies, and saute until starting to get soft. Add broth and spices, bring to a boil and add noodles. Boil for 8 to 10 minutes until noodles are soft. Add fresh basil, wine and sherry. Cook for another 2-3 minutes and enjoy.
If you need a gluten free soup, use rice or gluten free pasta in place of wheat noodles.
Check out this blog for other soup recipes!
Moroccan Stew with Sweet Potatoes in a Peanut Sauce
Fill Up, Less Calories with Soup