This was an experiment that ended up tasting great! Vary the meat, vegetables and spices depending on what is in your freezer, fridge and pantry.
- Chicken breast, raw, 2 large (about 1 lb), cut into 8 pieces
- Olive oil 2 tablespoons
- Cauliflower, 1/2 half large head, cut into 2 inch pieces
- Leek, 1 large, cut into thin slices (rinse in bowl of cold water after slicing, to get all the dirt out)
- Red Bell Pepper (chopped)
- Tomato paste with no added salt, one 6 ounce can
- Diced tomatoes with no added salt, one 14.5 ounce can
- Ground Cumin, 2 teaspoons (vary to taste)
- Paprika, 1 tablespoon (vary to taste)
- Dry mustard, 1 teaspoon (vary to taste)
- Molasses, 1/4 cup
- Sugar, granulated, 2 tablespoons
- White wine, 1/4 cup
- Balsamic vinegar 1/4 cup
- Kosher salt, 1 teaspoon
- Optional herbs and spices: fresh or dried cilantro, basil and/or oregano, chili powder.
Directions: heat olive oil in a frying pan, brown the chicken. Dump into crock pot along with all the other ingredients. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Serve over brown rice, whole grain pasta, quinoa or whole wheat couscous. You can also throw in potatoes, yams or sweet potatoes to make this a meal in one pot.